Saturday, June 27, 2015

Did Anyone Think To Ask the Children?


Did anyone think to ask the children?
With the excitement of the day, I have a few questions and thoughts. Did anyone ask the children?
As one of our older children left the roost, we began to rethink bedrooms. One remained empty for some time as I mourned the unavoidable growing up of my little ones. After a few months, my husband and I tossed around many ideas, and finally decided to put the two brothers together who had similar school hours, and the other in his own room. One day, I overheard the boys all discussing bedrooms, and they had a completely different idea. So, I listened and put the two brothers with different schedules together -------- they are inseparable today. And, often times, all three are together. I learned a valuable lesson ---- Ask the children!! And, take the time to listen. Does that mean we make every decision with a consensus from the kids? No, but they do have a voice. They do have opinions that, more often than not deserve consideration. And, most importantly, THEY have to live with OUR decisions! My husband left after 20 years of marriage, to pursue and alternative lifestyle. My children have been affected, and will continue to be a affected by the Supreme Court ruling today. So, I would ask again, "Did anyone think to ask the children?" How many of you would trade your Mom for two Dads. Or, trade your dad for two moms? It's thought provoking, isn't it? I asked my 12 year old that question, about two years ago. He spends time with his dad and his partner. Both are great men. He loves his dad and loves spending time with him. But, his answer to my question made me think. He said, "I just miss the Mom stuff when I'm there. Like the pretty music, the messages and notes, the kisses goodnight and just the Mom stuff, you know, Mom" I think, if we all reflected back, we would feel the same way, no matter which we got two of.
We must wear seatbelts. We must stop at a red light. Marijuana is legal in some states. And, don't text and drive. And, you can marry a man or a woman and choose your team. No matter what, it's about CHOICE. Some of these we do only when someone is watching. Other's we always do because of fear. Others we have chosen because of education. We don't hate those we see text and drive, until someone we love is recklessly affected. We don't hate those we see without seatbelts. We might think they are crazy. It's not about hate, religion or right and wrong. It's about choice. Let's make them wisely. Children WILL listen! But will we even take the time to ask? I live it. I see the affects every day. My kids live it. This is my story.
Careful the thoughts you make........ The future will tell.
Wishes come true. Wishes are children.
It's about choice!

It's about choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment