Monday, February 18, 2013

Her Shoes

These shoes do not belong to me.  These are her shoes.  She is tall with long legs.  Her shoes add, "princess" to any outfit.  As she is athletic, her calves have just the right curves to show off these glittery heels!  And, as she navigates on such a petite point,  there is no need to worry.  She is sturdy, elegant and precise.  In her shoes, she walks just right.  Now me, I like flats or a hearty, chunky clog.  My legs are short, but I am told I have adorable ankles, so a ballet-type flat, shows them off with class.  Though I love sports, I am comfortable with a little more surface area under my heel, so throughout the day, my flats magnify my confidence.  In my shoes, I know who I am, in hers I am weary and uneasy.  In my shoes, I do not fear.  In her shoes, at any moment, I may lose my balance, unsure and insecure..  When we are talking shoes, it makes complete sense that OUR shoes fit us best.  So, why do find ourselves forever wanting to look like her, cook like her, wear clothes like her?  Why do we want to parent like her, craft like her, clean like her or decorate like her?  We often want her car, her house, her hair and even her body.  Over the years, I have come the conclusion that I need to wear my own shoes--- they will always be more comfortable than "hers!"   In her shoes, my weaknesses are magnified.  My cute, confident and contoured ankles appear wobbly and unsteady, as I try to walk, even a few steps,  in her shoes.  It only takes one person to change your life for the better------YOU!!  I like to apply the Cinderella theory, when I find myself attempting to be something, that perhaps I am not.  If it's meant to be, it will fit perfectly---- no struggling, no forcing and no pain.  How strange it would be if the shoe store shelves were lined with all the same pair of shoes?  The world needs the flats, the tennis shoes, the clogs, the boots, the sandals, and yes, the high heels! The world needs YOU and the world needs me.  We are needed to listen to a friend in a way that no one else can.  We are needed to smile at the exact moment that someone needs that feeling that they, too are important.  We are needed to love our families in a way that we were uniquely and perfectly chosen to do, just for them.  Don't walk a mile in "her" shoes--- walk with her.  And, do it like no one else can.  Dr. Seuss said it best when he said, "You have brains in your head and feet in YOUR shoes.  You can steer yourself in any direction YOU choose."  Remember, it only takes one person to change your life for the better------YOU!!  Some say that in the right shoes you can conquer the world.  I would say, in YOUR shoes, the world cannot conquer you!!! 
Be yourself----everyone else is already taken!!   

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy--glad to know we are kindred "flat" sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wear your shoes better than anyone I know! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete